Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The VSCO2 Orchestra

Sam Gossner impressively created the VSCO2 chamber orchestra. Two years in the making this version at its largest has 300 instruments. Sam put thousands of the samples under a Creative Commons Zero license which is similar to Public Domain. This is called the Community Edition and there is a full SFZ version and an EXS24 version in the making on this page along with all the original samples. Thanks to Sam and his friends for this tremendous contribution to the world of free music. Unfortunately these don't seem to work with Windows XP, I suggest you try the SFZ version.

Soundcloud Demo kindly created for me by Sam.


Version One Instruments. Top row is all 18 instruments and 50 articulations in one rompler.
Instrument Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Full Orchestra Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU





Violin Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Violin Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Viola Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Cello Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Double Bass Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Harp Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Trumpet Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Horn Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Tenor Trombone Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Tuba Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Flute Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Oboe Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Clarinet Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Bassoon Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Piano Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Organ Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Percussion Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Chromatic Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
VSCO2 Chromatic contains the Marimba, Xylo and Glock.  

Version 2 
I've started working on a much better looking V2. Sam was kind enough to let me use the UI art created by Simon Autenrieth for the official VSTs. These look awesome, have round robins and some other improvements. The negatives are that they take a long time to make and leave more room for error, so if you find glitches please let me know (though that is true for all these instruments). The main thing to note is that the onscreen keyboard is not velocity sensitive. Midi input, external keyboards, etc all behave correctly its only the onscreen keyboard in the VST that is basically a toggle switch.



Version Two Instruments
Instruments Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Violin Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Violin Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Viola Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Cello Section Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Double Bass Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Trumpet Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
French Horn Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Trombone Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Old Trombone Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU
Tuba Win 64 Win 32 Mac VST Mac AU

Creative Commons Zero: Versilian Studios / Sam Gossner
Version 2 Artwork: Simon Autenrieth

16 comments:

  1. Doesn't work on WinXP 32bit. :( "failed to load DLL" in reaper. Reaper doesn't even recognize the DLL. Even SAVIhost cannot open the VST... I downloaded the Win32 version... any help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more recent versions of Maize instruments do not appear to support XP; after all, XP is well over a decade old. However, there is one possible workaround- try downloading an older Maize instrument, such as VS Upright or Bigcat's individual Sonatina instruments, then go inside the .instruments folder, delete the contents, an replace them with the contents of the .instruments folder of the VSCO CE set. I can't promise it will work, and it may require trying a few different older Maize VST's, but it might work.

      Delete
    2. Dude.... you really have to upgrade. At a certain point you're just being stubborn...

      Delete
  2. Thank you, this is really impressive and I'm looking forward to the next version using the VSCO plugin interface. It installs fine and - so far - it sounds great in FL Studio 12.4 running in Linux Mint 18 under Wine/Crossover - EXCEPT that the instrument patch labels are displayed in an odd font - looks like one I have installed to use with MuseScore or Noteworthy Composer, since it includes music notation symbols. All the other text displays fine and the list seems to 'function' okay. I can select items, but I can't read the names of the instruments I am selecting. Do I need a particular font installed to display the various patch names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I've never heard of that happening. Maybe the individual versions would work? I'm not sure it might be the same problem?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's strange, but not unknown running VST's or other Windows software under Linux using Wine or Crossover. Haven't tried the individual versions yet. Usually it's just not having some particular (often proprietary) MS Windows font installed in the Linux Wine prefix. I don't really know how all this works, but I was hoping you'd say the Rompler uses font 'x' for the instrument names and I could just make sure it's installed (if available). Thanks tho!!!

      Delete
    3. By default, Maize simply looks for a font labeled and uses that (like a HTML file might request "sans-serif" as a last resort if the primary font is not present); it doesn't have a particular font in mind. Perhaps the font MuseScore or Noteworthy is called a sans-serif and somehow gets assigned? I don't know the particular font used by default on Windows, but I would assume it's one of the "web" friendly fonts that typically are found on all devices.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, it removed my html-like brackets- the font is simply set as "Sans-Serif".

      Delete
    5. Thanks. Sorry to take up too much time and attention here since this is not going to be an issue for most users. But after a little digging, the problem seems to be a conflict with a TAB font installed with the Ample Guitar II lite Vst. After some trial and error, uninstalling the Ample guitar VST, installing your plugins then reinstalling the Ample guitar seems to solve the problem for some reason. -- This was ONLY an issue running FL Studio 12.4 under Crossover/wine on my Linux Mint box. The same config of FL Studio 12.4 in Windows 10, ran perfectly. Looks like all is working fine now on both setups. Thanks!

      Delete
    6. Thanks for the update. If it happened to you I'm sure it will happen to someone(s) else and it is useful to know. Thanks to Sam for his advice as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi this is great thanks for you work on this. Do you maybe have install instructions for Logic Pro X? I noticed that when clicking the AU link for organ, a VST downloads instead of a componenent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the link Willard. I got that fixed.
      I'm sorry I'm not an apple guy so I'm not really sure of the install, but this chap on Youtube seems to give a good, quick explanation. I'm hoping that these work the same way.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDRpVKXI-Y

      Delete
  4. Thanks very Much Joe. I appreciate your fast reply. I'll have a look at the you tube video.
    Thanks,

    Willard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willard, once you have the .component (audio unit) downloaded, move or copy it into:
      Mac HD -> Libraries -> Audio -> Plug-Ins -> Components

      The "Mac HD" exact name may differ based on operating system version and machine. It is the drive your operating system is on.

      Once you put the .component file in that place (you should see other .component files there too), close Logic and open it back up again. I seem to recall an old version of Logic didn't support Audio Units, but I think that was a long time ago. If it doesn't work, you can always do the same thing, but download the Mac vst and put it in Plug-Ins -> VST instead, I believe.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam and Joe, thanks for you reply. I had done that already But I totally overlooked te BigCat menu entry in the AU instruments tab. My dyslexia got me there I guess.

    ReplyDelete